In preparation for our Tubby Todd Pop Up Shop
on Tuesday September 22nd we had a chance to chat with Andrea Williams, the mom behind Tubby Todd Bath co
. and see what inspires her. It was a great opportunity to learn more about Tubby Todd as a company and why Andrea pours so much into their products and company. Andrea's family really is the inspiration behind her products and that influences all the decisions she makes for Tubby Todd.
- Why did you start your company?
- My husband and I have always worked together. We ran a little marketing company, running marketing campaigns for small businesses. After a few years we decided we wanted to have our own product to market- something that we could use to take care of our children. Our little guy was born with sensitive skin and we set out to create a bath wash that would make both him and us happy.
- Tell me about the journey of your company?
- We spent a few years working on formulas before launching. Because our family is the face of the company, we didn't want to sell anything that wasn't something we loved to use every single day. And so we made it our standard to only share products that we stand by in our home.
- What has been the most satisfying achievement so far?
- The most satisfying achievement has been watching other families get so much joy from our products. Kids who have sensitive skin, or adults who have had a hard time finding products they enjoy have fallen in love with what we offer.
- What has been one of the most difficult parts of starting and growing your business?
- It's tough to put yourself out there! Day in and day out we are opening ourselves up to criticism, critique and failure by running our own company. Sometimes it feels fun to be so adventurous, but a lot of the times, it feels terrifying.
- What advice would you give to other parents/moms trying to start their own companies from home?
- Do what you know. My husband worked in manufacturing, and we both have marketing backgrounds, that's why this became a perfect fit for us. All of the professional and experience with our children have been the best tools for helping us find success.
- What makes Tubby Todd stand out, what makes your products and brand different?
- Our products are 100% natural but are really enjoyable to use. They smell amazing, lather, moisturize and don't leave skin sticky. It's hard to find a great user experience with most natural products but we believe we offer that.
- What have you learned about parenting and family as you’ve started your company?
- I have learned how easily we can get distracted from what matters most. I like to put my phone away when my kids are around because it is too easy to just get lost in all of the to-dos.
- What are 3 things you wish you had known when you started that you have learned?
- You don't have to have a perfect product to start selling something.
- You don't have to have perfect images to run an Instagram account.
- You don't have to spend more money than you have to run a business- there is always more than one way to do things
- What is your favorite thing about owning your own business?
- Working from home. I am with my little ones 80-90% of the time they are awake. It is amazing.
What are some of your favorite activities to do with your children? The beach, Disneyland, riding bikes on our street.
What advice would you give to first time moms? Do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself so you can be the best mom. Whether that is reaching out for emotional help, joining a gym, taking a nap every day- when you are in a good place you will be ready to care and love for those little ones!