Packing the Perfect Church Bag
My family goes to church most Sundays and roughly half of my house comes along with us. Church is one of those places I feel the need to be 110% prepared for any situation. And if there was ever a place to bring out all the stops, ahem, distractions for young kiddos, church is definitely that place!
Frankly, it doesn’t matter what is packed if it’s not packed into a proper bag. A bag that is comfortable to wear while pacing in a different room from the congregation because your toddler isn’t capable of holding still or keeping quiet, a bag that has enough space for all of the things, and a bag that is organized enough to take some stress out of hauling children to church! Not to mention, it has to be cute, because Sunday is the only day of the week I actually get ready – so any accessories in tow will look good too!
What to PackEveryone obviously knows what to pack in a diaper bag, but I'll add my two cents of necessary items for church.
Enough diapers and wipes: Actually, I've come to the conclusion that if I go through more than three diapers for one child during the church time-frame, it's probably best to just go home. So to clarify, three diapers and TONS of wipes! Those things come in handy for just about anything.
- I should probably add a changing pad to this too! The reason it's a second thought is because my diaper bag (and the Ju-Ju-Be bags above) have changing pads included with the bag!
- The perfect toys: Some of our favorites are stickers, books, quiet/soft books, small figurines or plush toys, and coloring activities.
- Pacifiers: They're like an instant sound stopper, and church tends to mess with baby's schedules, so it's nice to have something extra to help them soothe.
- Nursing cover: Breastfeeding in any public place can be tricky, but nursing covers can be super helpful!
What NOT to PackSadly, it took actually taking each of these items to church for me to realize that they were not, in fact, good church tag-alongs.
- Balls: It doesn’t matter the age, most all kids know that balls are made to be thrown! Not only do this, but they sure roll too.
- Cars: Similar to the rolling balls, cars tend to wheel off further than we anticipate and they typically aren’t quiet about it either!
- Toys that make sounds: This is pretty obvious and I feel it needs no explanation.
- The wrong snack: Of course, accidents are going to happen no matter what, but if chocolate pudding or half-smashed crackers are apart of the snack stash, you’re a whole lot more likely to end up with a mess!
The difficult part about church packing is the fact that Mom and Dad may need some items packed too. This is when a larger bag definitely comes in handy! Something like the Wherever Weekender could work perfectly for the occasion.
Anytime I write about diaper bags, I can’t not mention my biggest tip to keeping a diaper bag organized: repacking! It doesn’t matter if you were out with it the day before and you’re pretty sure you know what’s in there and where it’s at. I suggest taking the time to unpack and repack your diaper bag as often as you can! Not only does this help to keep your items organized and in place, but it helps YOU out because you know exactly where something is when you need it, and the rummaging is down to a minimum.