When looking for the perfect car seat you can sometimes get bogged down in the muddiness of all of the height and weight restrictions, features, color options, install options, and so on and so forth. It can be a lot to take in! But have no fear, I have a straightforward and simple review for you today on the Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 Convertible Car Seat!
First things first: what exactly is a convertible car seat?A convertible car seat is one that can typically accommodate a child as small as 4lbs and as large as 65lbs. It can be installed rear-facing (recommended for ages birth - 4 years old or until they max out the height & weight requirements in rear-facing mode) and then turned around to face forward (recommended for children ages 4 - 8 or until they max out of the height and weight requirements for the car seat in forward-facing mode, which will mean it's time for a booster seat until at least age 8). Although most parents do not use a convertible car seat until their child is typically 1 year old, most can accommodate an infant.
Now, how does the Pria 70 match up to a standard convertible seat?Well there's quite a few pros about the Pria 70!
- It has a max weight capacity of 70lbs! This is above the typical weight capacity of 65lbs which is fantastic because you want to be able to keep your child in a convertible car seat for as long as possible. However, you should be advised that children tend to grow out of car seats in height before they do in weight. So, if your child is on the shorter side this will be a great car seat for you since it will accommodate that higher weight capacity!
- This car seat is light, coming in at only 18.7lbs*. This makes it nice for those of us that are constantly move the car seat between vehicles.
- With the addition of the Tiny Fit System, the Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 can accommodate an infant as small as 4lbs due to the added side impact protection.
- The car seat cover is machine washable and dryer safe. How convenient is that?
- Integrated cup holder (so it never falls off or takes up extra space!)
- There is a very thick foam cushion on the Pria 70, which depending on how look at it can be a good or a bad thing. Thick foam can get quite hot for your child, especially during the summer months! But it can also provide a lot of comfort.
- It can be quite difficult to install. So, although it is light and easy to move from car to car, I have found it difficult to install which makes you not want to move it. However, installation usually gets easier as you get more used to your car seat.
All in all, I think the Pria 70 is a wonderful, basic car seat. It boasts better safety ratings than basic car seats based here in the U.S. since it is the standard car seat in European countries where they have higher minimum safety ratings. It is also convenient to maintain the look of the car seat (I mean, a machine washable and dryer safe seat pad is every mother's dream, right? ...ok, maybe it's just a kid that doesn't make a mess in the first place, but this is a good second!), and it does look sleek! I do wish that the install was easier, but at the same time you hopefully shouldn't be taking it in and out of your car too much. Overall, the Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 is a great car seat for the price and you will most likely be happy with your purchase! \ Plus, look at all of the fun colors it comes in!
Footnotes: *It should be noted that a good rule of thumb is the heavier a car seat is the safer it is since the weight usually indicates what types of materials it is made out of.