Video: Comparing the Nuna PIPA v. the UPPAbaby MESA
In the market for an infant car seat and can't decide on one? We're comparing the Nuna PIPA and the UPPAbaby MESA to clear things up and help you choose!
As we're comparing, let’s go over some of the differences:
- In terms of weight, the MESA weighs 9.9 pounds, and the PIPA weighs a little less—about 8 pounds.
- The MESA’s carry handle is made of durable plastic, and includes an easy release button. The PIPA’s handle is accented with a brown luxe leatherette material.
- The MESA’s fabric is merino wool, and it’s removable and washable. The PIPA has micro knit fabric that can be spot cleaned. Both of them have 5-point harnesses.
- They both have extendable canopies, but the PIPA has a few extra features: a flip out eyeshade, a peekaboo window, and dream drape. The MESA does have an adjustable headrest though!
- If you want to create a travel system, both car seats are directly compatible with strollers of their respective brands, like the CRUZ and the TAVO.
It's important to touch on the installation features too:
- These car seats both include bases for easy installation. They have very similar shapes, with handles, blue seatbelt lockoffs, and red-to-green indicators to help in the installation process.
- The MESA’s base allows you to adjust the recline with a simple button and check it with a level indicator and adjuster. The PIPA’s base, on the other hand, has a flip-foot to adjust the recline. It has bubble level indicators for you to double check.
- The PIPA’s base also has a two-section load leg to aid stability in case of a collision, which the MESA’s base doesn’t have.
- Both bases have a LATCH system. With the MESA, you’ll use self-retracting latch buttons to attach the lower connectors. The PIPA, on the other hand, has a flip-out rigid latch system.
- In terms of installation, both car seats can be installed without their bases, but the PIPA has a European belt route that goes around the back, and the MESA just has an American belt route with two side clips.
When comparing the prices, you'll see they're pretty similar—the MESA ranges from $299-$349 depending on the color you get, and the PIPA costs just under $320. Take a look in more detail below: